HVAC Licenses and Certifications in Massachusetts

Getting your HVAC Licenses and Certifications in Mass is one of the final steps at the end of your hvac education in Mass. In Massachusetts to get your Refrigeration Technician License from the state, there are a set of requirements from the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security that everyone needs, and then a series of 4 choices you have in how you qualify.

First these are the requirements that everyone needs to follow:

– An application filled out with your mailing address and social.

– A copy of your high school equivalency (GED or Proficiency Exam) or actual diploma.

– A photo that is 1 inch by 1.25 inches.

– a $75 application and processing fee.

– A copy of your CFC Certification which is discussed at the end of this page.

In addition to the above, you need to qualify under one of the following sections:

Option 1

Proof from an employer in Massachusetts that you have worked at least 6,000 hours as a refrigeration trainee or apprentice. You also need at least 150 hours in Mass. electrical code training from an approved institution. In addition you need 100 hours of refrigeration theory also from an approved institution in Mass.

Option 2

Employer documentation of 4,000 or more apprentice or trainee experience in refrigeration. Proof from a school is needed in this option of at least 100 hours of refrigeration theory, 100 hours of electrical code training, 250 hours of shop related work and other hours to include a total of 500 hours training from an approved organization.

Option 3

An employer stating that you have had at least 2,000 hours of refrigeration apprenticeship or training. The schooling requirement on this is 700 hours of shop related work, 100 hours of refrigeration theory, 100 hours of electrical specific training per Mass. regulations, all adding up with other training to at least 1000 hours of training.

Option 4

This option is a little more vague. The board states it as “Approved by a majority vote of the Bureau”. This makes sense, and I am guessing covers those people who don’t quite fit into one of the other categories.  I am guessing if someone were an HVAC teacher in Rhode Island for the past 25 years, and also ran their own HVAC business for 20 years, then they moved to Mass. the board might give them an exception. I would not count on getting an exception, but if your situation seems it is worthy of consideration, I would contact the board.

To get the Mass. Refrigeration Certification Board information directly from the horses mouth, or for more details read here. The Mass refrigeration laws can be found here.

CFC Certification

All refrigeration techs needs this. There are three levels.

A Type I Certification covers the small systems that contain less than 5 pounds of refrigerant. These have to be systems that are manufactured and hermetically sealed with this much refrigerant. This also covers things like under the counter ice makers and vending machines.

Type II Certification is for appliances that have a boiling point between – 50 and 10 degrees celsius at atmospheric pressure. covers high pressure appliances that use a refrigerant with a boiling point between -50 degrees C and 10 degrees C at atmospheric pressure.
The Type III level of Certification is for low pressure appliances using a refrigeration that has a boiling point taking place above 10 degrees C at atmospheric pressure.

Massachusetts Maritime Academy is one place where you can get your EPC CFC certification. They offer a 2 day course for $135.

Search Programs

Get information on programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Ad